The American Board of Thoracic Surgery (ABTS) purpose is to certify physicians who have completed a thoracic surgery residency and to promote lifelong learning and practice improvements for its Diplomates through the Maintenance of Certification program. The ABTS is one of 24 medical specialty boards that compose the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
ABTS is located in downtown Chicago and has a staff of six.
The Director of Examination Services is responsible for overseeing the test development and delivery of a variety of medical examinations and support materials, ensuring accuracy, consistency, integrity and quality throughout all phases of development.
- Manage item banks for all ABTS examinations and performing gap analyses as needed.
- Oversee the production of the ABTS’s certification examinations, including written and oral exams.
- Provide and/or oversee the medical editing for all items on the examinations.
- Consult with the ABTS psychometrician to set the exam parameters and standards.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and volunteer subject matter experts throughout all phases of the examination process.
- Train subject matter experts on best practices for item and examination development.
- Coordinate assignments and project schedules with department colleagues, question writers, and reviewers.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate in-person and virtual meetings with subject matter experts.
- Oversee creation and maintenance of standard policy and procedure documents.
- Maintain and update ABTS web site with regards to new policies, procedures and/or program information
- Implement the strategic initiatives of the ABTS with regards to testing
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree in English, journalism, or communications is preferred.
- Five to seven years of experience in the medical education or testing publishing fields preferred.
- Medical knowledge preferred.
- Expertise in question writing and test construction.
- Ability to use web-based item-banking applications (ExamDeveloper preferred), test delivery and self-assessment platforms.
- Ability to synthesize complex medical information and apply edits during live or virtual meetings.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Strong grammatical and syntactic skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Travel required (5-10%).
- Preference will be given to local candidates in Chicago, but the ABTS will consider remote candidates.
ABTS offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental, long-term disability, 401k.
Search Process: How to Apply
This search is being conducted by Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates . To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter electronically, using one of these options:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Catherine Babjak, Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org; 312.642.8889
Back to Searches