The American Board of Thoracic Surgery (ABTS) serves the public by promoting excellence in practice through rigorous evaluation and examination, providing leadership in education, and ensuring high standards for professionalism, lifelong learning and certification. ABTS is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), which encompasses 24 specialties with primary Board. The purpose of these Boards is to certify physician who have completed an ACGME approved residency in a specialty and through their Maintenance of Certification (MOC) programs, promote lifelong learning and practice improvements.
ABTS is located in downtown Chicago and has a staff of six.
The Director of Examination Services is responsible for overseeing test development tasks for a variety of medical examinations, assessments, and support materials, ensuring accuracy, consistency, integrity and quality throughout all phases of development.
- Manage item banks for all ABTS examinations, performing gap analyses as needed to ensure coverage for all domains in the examination blueprints.
- Consult with psychometricians to set exam selection parameters and determine linkages to previous examinations as needed; assist psychometricians with benchmarking and scoring-related tasks as needed (e.g. validation).
- Build forms for initial certification examinations, and assist in building forms for Maintenance of Certification (MOC) and SESATS; verify that examinations conform to blueprints and specifications.
- Edit examinations items, applying ABTS Style Guide requirements.
- Maintain item banks as needed, applying standardized and systematic processes.
Guide the ABTS examination and consultant committees through all phases of the examination development and production process.
- Train subject matter experts to build content development teams and conduct question-writing workshops; assist in identifying and recruiting subject matter experts as required.
- Develop question writing and review assignments based on blueprint and gap analyses in conjunction with subcommittee chairs.
- Provide test development expertise and knowledge of best practice to the examination committees and subcommittees.
Collaborate with the subcommittee chairs and subject matter experts to manage the multiple and overlapping requirements of examination development and other ongoing external and internal projects.
- Coordinate with the subcommittee chairs and subject matter experts to manage the multiple and overlapping requirements of examination development and other ongoing external and internal projects.
- Coordinate assignments and project schedules with department colleagues, question writers, and reviewers.
- Develop orderly and efficient workflows that fully leverage opportunities for remote work and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate in-person and virtual meetings with subject matter experts.
Oversee creation and maintenance of standard policy and procedure documents.
- Collaborate in the design, critique, and implementation of new test development processes.
- Analyze needs; explore solutions and alternative applications or platforms. Provide technical support for internal staff and subject matter experts; represent ABTS with vendors to document and resolve application issues.
- Analyze needs; explore solutions and alternative applications or platforms.
- Maintain and update ABTS web site with regards to new test policies, procedures and/or program information.
- Implement the strategic initiatives of the ABTS related to testing.
- Represent the ABTS when making presentations to Diplomates and other professional audiences.
- Assist the Administrative Director, Executive Director, and Examination Chair in other duties as assigned (. e.g. technical writing, editing assignments, special projects, research, etc).
- Travel required (5-10%).
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree in English, journalism, or communications is preferred.
- Ten years of experience working in medical education, education or testing related field
- Medical background; experience in surgery or cardiology desirable.
- Expertise in question writing and test construction; understanding measurement principles
- Ability to collect and analyze data using question banking application ExamDeveloper/PearsonVue experience desirable).
- Ability to synthesize complex medical information and apply edits during live or virtual meetings.
- Ability to edit and modify still images and video for use on examinations.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written and communicate clearly and professionally to a variety of audiences. Strong grammatical and syntactic skills.
- Experience managing staff.
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage complex processes and multiple, concurrent, and overlapping projects while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with a team in pursuit of quality and continuous improvement.
- Strong PC skills, expertise in Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and IMIS. Ability to use (and learn) to use web-based item-banking applications, test delivery and self-assessment platforms.
- No remote work.
ABTS offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental, long-term disability, 401k.
Search Process: How to Apply
This search is being conducted by Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates . To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter electronically, using one of these options:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Catherine Babjak, Manager, at email@example.com; 312.642.8889
Back to Searches