The Society of Actuaries (SOA) is the largest global association for actuaries, serving more than 32,000 members and the global public. Committed to education, research, and the profession, the SOA’s vision is for actuaries to be highly sought-after professionals who develop and communicate solutions for complex financial issues.
Headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois, the SOA has a $58M budget and is led by 150 staff under the direction of a 19-member Board of Directors. To learn more, visit www.soa.org.
The Director, Meeting and Events is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of SOA meetings and exhibits. S/he directs the overall planning and execution of SOA meetings including budget, site selection, and logistics. The Director will oversee and manage all contract negotiations. S/she will supervise and oversee 2 Meeting Planners, Sr. Meeting & Exhibit Planner, Registration Specialist, and Registration and Event Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management, Communications, Business or a related field required. Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation required.
- Five years’ experience as a senior level meeting professional.
- A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience with demonstrated track record of success managing, developing and mentoring a cohesive team.
- Strong negotiation skills with solid understanding of vendor contract terms and language and experience negotiating contracts.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to deliver clear and effective messages to various audiences.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines, functioning well autonomously and as a team member.
- Creative with strong proactive, project management skills
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfortable working under pressure, balance competing priorities and adapt quickly to a constantly changing environment.
- Commitment to sound business ethics and high level of integrity and transparency and commitment to SOA’s principles and ethics.
- Travel required (15-20%).
Search Process: How to Apply
This search is being conducted by Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates .
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter electronically, using one of these options:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Catherine Babjak, Manager, at email@example.com; 312.642.8889
Back to Searches