Since 1976, the California Academy of Physician Assistants (CAPA) has been the driving force to advance and protect the PA profession in California. CAPA’s mission is to represent and serve PAs statewide. As an advocate for its members in the provision of quality healthcare, in collaboration with all healthcare professionals, CAPA enhances, educates and empowers PAs for the ultimate benefit of their patients. Located in Santa Ana, CAPA is governed by a 10-member Board of Directors, with a staff of 4 and an annual budget of approximately $1.2M.
The Executive Director reports to the President of the Board of Directors and is responsible for the overall strategic management, administration, and operation of Academy headquarters and staff; formulating recommendations and advising the Board on collective vision, strategic direction, and Academy affairs; and implementing Academy policy as determined by the Board.
Essential duties and responsibilities include Board support and leadership; financial, staff and membership management; government affairs; conference and meeting planning; communications; technology & data management; and CAPA Foundation and Political Action Committee oversight.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree required (advanced degree preferred); or the equivalent in education and work experience.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a nonprofit professional membership association.
- Team leader with ability to interface with all levels of staff and volunteer leadership. Must have experience in developing, maintaining, and maximizing relationships with a broad and diverse group of constituents.
- Strategic thinking skills; ability to take initiative and independently make informed decisions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation delivery, conveying ideas, and effective instructing.
- Proven track record in managing government affairs.
- Business acumen, including successful budget and financial management.
- Proven track record in recruiting, engaging, and collaborating with high-level volunteer leaders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software; experience with membership management databases.
- Willingness and ability to travel and attend Board meetings, and chapter and national events and programs.
- Vision—Thinks in big-picture terms. Articulates and promotes a common purpose that mobilizes people and unifies their efforts.
- Trust and Integrity— Shares information and power, supports a culture of candor and encourages others to generate trust. Acts professionally, ethically, and morally; functions as a role model.
- Participation and Community—Inspires people to get involved and pitch in with their knowledge, effort, and enthusiasm. Generates mutual commitment that inspires the highest performance. Encourages teamwork.
- Learning—Self-aware and understands his/her own strengths and shortcomings, promotes creativity and innovation, encourages others to refresh their skills and renew their commitment and enthusiasm. Takes initiative to stay current in relevant areas, including association management.
- Diversity—Actively encourages and cultivates an appreciation of the positive aspects of people’s differences and encourages a culture of mutual respect.
- Creativity—Pays close attention to people’s talents; draws on their strengths, manages around their weaknesses; encourages independent, challenging thinking.
- Efficiency–Can-do attitude; able to juggle multiple tasks but delegates, as appropriate; manages time and resources effectively; invests in technologies and practices that improve productivity of staff and volunteers.
- Credibility—Recognized as an effective leader by staff, CAPA leaders, and members, leaders at related associations, and professional peers. Reflects the organization’s values and respects the Academy’s dedication to serving the CAPA membership.
Search Process: How to Apply
This search is being conducted by Jill Christie, President, Tuft & Associates .
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter electronically, using one of these options:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Catherine Babjak, Manager, at email@example.com; 312.642.8889
Back to Searches
|Location||Santa Ana, CA|