Chief Executive Officer
- Minnesota Medical Association
- Minneapolis, MN
Founded in 1853, the Minnesota Medical Association (MMA) today represents more than 10,000 physicians, residents, fellows, and medical students. Since its founding, MMA has been a strong and devoted representative of its members and their patients, as well as a leader in developing health policy in the state of Minnesota. It has contributed legislative reforms, still in place today, that have allowed Minnesota to become one of the healthiest states. MMA also publishes its award-winning journal, Minnesota Medicine, and it oversees the Minnesota Medical Association Foundation. MMA employs approximately 20 staff and has annual revenue of $3.7 million. The business of MMA is governed by a 14-member Board of Trustees, which is elected by all members of the organization. The MMA recently completed a change in governance that now utilizes a 40-member Policy Council to help encourage and voice member input as well as develop policy for consideration by the Board. MMA is located in Northeast Minneapolis.
As the senior staff position, the MMA CEO directs the overall, day-to-day operations of the MMA and all its programs and services, and oversees its extensive advocacy efforts. The CEO is responsible for establishing and achieving operating and financial objectives for the MMA, the MMA Foundation and MEDPAC. The CEO is expected to be an engaged community leader who serves as MMA’s senior staff spokesperson in public and media relations and provides support to MMA physician spokespersons.
The CEO will lead in a manner that supports and guides MMA’s mission, as defined by the Board of Trustees. The CEO is responsible for running MMA’s businesses efficiently and productively, enhancing business endeavors, and identifying new initiatives and enhancing sources of non-dues revenue. The CEO directs MMA staff in the fulfillment of the Board’s vision and direction, while supervising, motivating, and mentoring employees in a team-oriented, innovative, and professional and productive environment.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Services Administration, Public Health or similar; or MD or DO; or equivalent degree.
- Seven to ten years’ professional work experience in complex organizations, with demonstrated success in leading, planning, or organizing operations; executive level experience much preferred.
- Five years’ experience working with physicians as a senior executive in a health care organization or medical association; a solid understanding of non-profit association governance desirable.
- At least five years’ experience successfully managing and motivating a high-performing staff team, with experience in effective hiring and conducting regular performance appraisals.
- Experience with major association initiatives, such as annual meeting planning, various education modalities, membership recruitment and retention, and health policy.
- Experience with developing and implementing strategic planning initiatives.
- Understanding of current health care issues on the state and national levels, including advocacy experience.
- Proven ability to organize and lead advocacy efforts.
- Experience applying and leveraging technology and technological innovation for the betterment of an organization.
- Financial management expertise and the initiative to expand membership, enhance existing businesses, and identify viable new sources of non-dues revenue.
- Proven track record in successful collaborations and consensus building.
This search is being conducted by Tuft & Associates. Those interested in applying should email a confidential resume and a cover letter, outlining specific qualifications related to this position, to:
Kathleen R. Henrichs, PhD
Tuft & Associates