Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Rosemont, IL
The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS), a non-profit medical specialty association located in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, Illinois, seeks a Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations to manage and develop the association’s marketing activities and relationships with corporate and industry partners.
The qualified candidate will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or related areas (a graduate degree preferred) and at least four years of experience in a comparable position within a healthcare or medically related organization. This candidate must have strong marketing and project management skills; exceptional verbal and written communication skills; and a results-oriented professional approach with a record of independent, self-motivated work. Also required is the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, using discretion and judgement in dealing with sensitive and commercially competitive matters; tact and diplomacy in dealing with people at all levels; and a poised, confident, and professional demeanor that projects the premier image of AAHKS.
AAHKS is an equal opportunity employer. Send cover letter and resume to Tuft & Associates, ATTN: Carole Badger, JD,FASAE, CAE (Ret.), firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION PROFILE (January 12, 2018)
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND CORPORATE RELATIONS
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF HIP AND KNEE SURGEONS (www.aahks.org)
The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) is a National Surgical Specialty Society located in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, Illinois. The association shares office space in the Orthopaedic Building with other national medical/surgical specialty societies. Established in 1991, AAHKS provides leadership in advocacy, education and research aimed at achieving excellence in hip and knee patient care. The organization has over 3,600 members, an annual budget of approximately $5 million, and a staff of 10. Governed by a 12 member Executive Board, AAHKS provides its members with legislative and public health advocacy, newsletters, a Journal of Arthroplasty, and an Annual Meeting and other CME opportunities. The Annual Meeting, held in the fall, addresses a broad array of scientific topics, such as implant design, results, surgical techniques and complications of primary and revision TJA, as well as the latest information available on socioeconomic issues affecting the specialty.
Position Summary: Responsible for managing and developing the association’s marketing activities and relationships with corporate and industry partners.
The Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations reports directly to the Executive Director and collaborates with the Manager of Communications and Web Content on marketing activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary point of contact for industry partners, exhibitors, marketing consultants and related vendors.
- Support collaborative relationships with corporate and industry partners and external organizations; establish excellent working relationships with key stakeholders including the Board Executive Committee, Board of Directors, committee volunteers, and consultants/contractors.
- Coordinate and implement the sales, logistical and operational elements, and contract negotiations of the Corporate Partnership Program, conference exhibit hall, sponsorships and marketing opportunities.
- Solicit and secure sponsors and exhibitors.
- Assist with budget preparation and manage contract negotiations with Corporate Partners.
- Assist with the creation, production, and distribution of all Corporate Partner and Exhibitor materials, including the Exhibitor Directory, the Exhibitor Prospectus, the Corporate Partner Program brochure.
- Maintain contracted exhibitor and Corporate Partner contacts and history.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Industry Relations Committee.
- Manage marketing and advertising campaigns for AAHKS meetings, membership and other products or services.
- Conduct market research to find answers about member requirements, habits, and trends.
- Brainstorm and develop ideas for creative marketing campaigns.
- Support marketing activities with expertise in various areas (content development and optimization, advertising, events planning, etc.).
- Develop presentations and provide reports based on information collected such as marketing trends, competition, new products, and pricing.
- Liaise with Corporate Partners to execute promotional events and campaigns.
- Collaborate with marketing and other professionals to coordinate brand awareness and marketing efforts.
- Plan and execute initiatives to reach the target audience through appropriate channels (social media, e-mail, television, etc.).
- Assist in analyzing marketing data (campaign results, conversion rates, traffic etc.) to help shape future marketing strategies.
10-15 days per year including an extended period during the Annual Meeting.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES OF THE POSITION:
This Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations at AAHKS has the advantage of coming into a fiscally sound organization with a forward-thinking Executive Director and dedicated volunteers and subject matter experts. This position provides an excellent opportunity for someone with strong marketing and project management experience to work collaboratively with staff and leadership towards the continued viability and growth of AAHKS activities. The position, however, will require someone who has the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, can use discretion and judgment in dealing with sensitive and commercially competitive matters, and is able to use clear, concise, consistent, and tactful language—both orally and in writing—to communicate effectively with multiple audiences. Also necessary will be a proven ability to function independently; a polished, poised, and confident demeanor; and a technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and association software.
The qualified candidate will have, at a minimum, a baccalaureate degree in marketing, business, or related areas (graduate degree desired); a minimum of 4 years of experience working within a complex, customer-service, and goal oriented medical association (or similar society); strong marketing and project management experience; and additional experience in sales and advertising production. Also required are strong interpersonal skills; the ability to think critically and analytically; and the capacity to assume responsibility and constructively assimilate stress. AAHKS is an equal opportunity employer.
TIMELINE AND SEARCH PROCESS
This search is conducted by Tuft & Associates. Interviews with Tuft will commence toward the end of January, 2018; interviews with the AAHKS Executive Director will be held in late February and into March, if needed. Send resume and cover letter to: Tuft & Associates, ATTN: Carole Badger, JD, FASAE, CAE (Ret.), at email@example.com.