- American Association of Orthodontists Foundation
- St. Louis, MO
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF ORTHODONTISTS FOUNDATION (AAOF)
401 N. Lindbergh Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63141 | http://aaofoundation.net/
ABOUT THE AAOF
The AAO Foundation, the charitable arm of the American Association of Orthodontists, provides support to orthodontic education programs and orthodontic research. The AAO Foundation is incorporated as a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit corporation in the state of Missouri. The Mission of the AAOF is to advance the orthodontic specialty by supporting quality education and research that leads to excellence in patient care. Foundation funding ensures the future viability of the specialty by investing in the next generation of educators and researchers. Since 1994, the AAO Foundation Awards Program has provided just over $11.5 million in funding, primarily in support of Junior Faculty, including 225 Fellowship Awards and 222 Research Awards.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing the day-to-day affairs of the AAOF and achieving programmatic and financial goals. The Executive Director will lead the development, implementation and management of fundraising programs to support the mission of the AAOF. S/he will actively participate in all forms of fundraising and manage the AAOF’s award programs. S/he is responsible for managing the operating budget and portfolio to meet the organization’s mission and vision; providing effective oversight of the organization’s activities and operations; making recommendations to the Board of Directors, planning and participating in all of their meetings and serving the Board and its Committees in formulating the AAOF’s goals and objectives and; managing staff, programs and resources effectively and in a manner consistent with the AAOF’s Bylaws.
- Refine, conceptualize and implement an effective fundraising strategy, which engages new individual donors and maintains engagement of current donors;
- Prepare and implement fundraising activities, such as direct mail appeals, individual solicitation, corporate sponsorships and special events;
- Establish procedures and timelines for fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising activities are carried out in a timely manner;
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote and maximize awareness of the AAOF’s mission to potential and current donors;
- Oversee all facets of the awards programs, to include: call for entries, entrant validation process, jurying, winner/non-winner announcements. Serve as primary point of contact for all awards; interact extensively with entrants and jurors by phone and email; assist with procedural questions;
- Build relationships with Board members in and outside of the scheduled board and committee meetings. Provide tools to enable Board members to meet the objectives of the AAOF;
- Establish the organizational structure of the office and ensure effective staff support for all functions;
- Manage, develop and prepare the annual budget. Responsible for meeting goals specified in the annual budget and Strategic Plan;
- Work collaboratively with AAO staff;
- Meet critical goals specific in the Strategic Plan; lead in the development of any new or revised long-range plans;
- Some travel is required.
The ideal candidate for the Executive Director position is an experienced and collaborative leader with significant experience in association and philanthropy fundraising. A track record of demonstrated success in individual fundraising and development is essential, as is experience in awards oversight and management.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree and CFRE preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly articulate the AAOF’s mission and goals and provide the AAOF with a polished, credible spokesperson;
- A collaborative leader, committed to working in partnership with staff and volunteer leadership;
- Strong financial management skills, with an ability to anticipate problems and develop alternative solutions;
- Political astuteness and excellent managerial skills for a strong, motivated and cohesive staff team;
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation;
- Demonstrated experience in utilization of marketing communications and social media to engage younger members and increase the visibility of the AAOF and its programs on a national level;
- Strong PC skills and expertise in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook);
- Sound ethical character, with unquestioned integrity, honesty, and transparency, and a commitment to the AAOF’s principles and ethics;
- Some travel required.
The Executive Director reports to the AAOF of Board of Directors and supervises a staff of one.
This search is being conducted by Tuft & Associates. To apply, please forward your resume electronically with cover letter in confidence to: Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates:firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 312-642-8889