Executive Vice President
- Arizona Medical Association
- Phoenix, AZ
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT
Arizona Medical Association
The Arizona Medical Association (ArMA) has been successfully advocating for the practice of medicine in Arizona for more than 120 years. Representing physicians from every practice setting, and by extension those they serve, ArMA strives to ensure that the interface among physicians, health care systems, and payors is positive and in the best interest of patients. ArMA also manages 13 specialty societies, a 501 (c) 3 Foundation, and a political action committee, ArMPAC. A Board with 47 slotted seats oversees management of the organization, aided by an 11-member Executive Committee. Located in central Phoenix, ArMA has a staff of 13 association professionals and an annual budget of approximately $1.8M.
As the senior staff position, the Executive Vice President directs the overall, day-to-day operations of ArMA and its programs and services, and oversees its extensive advocacy efforts. The EVP is responsible for establishing and achieving operating and financial objectives for ArMA, its Foundation, and ArMPAC. The position also oversees ArMA’s association management business with its specialty society clients. The EVP is expected to be an engaged community leader who serves as ArMA’s senior staff spokesperson in public and media relations and provides support to ArMA physician spokespersons.
The ideal Executive Vice President will supervise, motivate, and mentor ArMA staff in a team-oriented, innovative, and highly productive environment. He or she will also work closely with the Board on ArMA collaborations and will provide insight and guidance to leadership on issues related to the successful operation of the organization in order to assist with informed decision making.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Services Administration, Public Health or similar, Master’s or other advanced degree preferred; CAE desirable.
- Seven to 10 years’ professional experience in complex organizations, with demonstrated success in leading, planning and organizing operations; EVP-level experience desirable.
- Five years’ experience working with physicians as a senior executive in a professional health care or organized medicine association.
- At least five years’ experience successfully managing and motivating a high-performing staff team, with experience in effective hiring and conducting performance appraisals.
- Experience with major association initiatives, such as annual meeting, a variety of education modalities, membership recruitment and retention, and health policy.
- Financial management expertise with the ability to enhance existing businesses and identify viable new sources of non-dues revenue.
- Proven track record in successful collaborations and consensus building.
- Experience with supervising association management for multiple organizations will be considered an asset.
- Understanding of current health care issues on the state (Arizona) and national levels.
- Proven ability to organize and lead advocacy efforts.
- Experience applying and leveraging technology for the advancement of the organization.
- 10-15% travel, mostly within Arizona.
- Ideal start date for this position is November 1, 2017.
This search is being conducted by Tuft & Associates. Those interested in applying should email a confidential resume and a cover letter, outlining specific qualifications related to this position, to:
Kathleen R. Henrichs, PhD
Tuft & Associates